The trend of hen parties that began in cosmopolitan cities like IOM , were amply supported by the presence of many lounge bars and pubs that were safe venues to host such pre-wedding events with professional bouncers and a discreet management ensuring privacy and fun, along with anonymity for the guests.
However, in the early part of the decade, bachelorette parties in IOM were largely private affairs and rarely publicized until local news outlets did a feature on Hen parties being equivalent to stag bashes. The national newspaper focused on the growing trend of more women in favor of hen parties styled on the pattern of bachelor parties, including the stripper show and the reports published in 2005, took India – and the rest of the world – by storm.
This series of reports mainly centered around skimpily clad PYTs (pretty, young, things) dancing away in their bare minimum and highlighted the presence of male strippers who just stopped short of doing a Full Monty, free-flowing booze to reveal the craze that had caught up with the middle and upper-classes that threatened the wildness quotient of the men’s bastion i.e. Bachelor Parties!!
It also quoted event organizer, in IOM , plagued and pleased in turn, by the fact that women planning pre-wedding Hen parties were requesting pole dancers and male strippers as declaring, “Hen parties are not limited to the elite class.” He added, “An increasing number of girls belonging to the middle class have approached me to organise hen parties. In fact, these girls have had some of the wildest hen parties arranged.”
Petite Bengali beauty and Bollywood actor, Riya Sen has also organised one such hen party for a best friend and says, “I think it’s great fun and I don’t see any harm in going really wild. That’s part of the whole idea – letting yourself go.”
Pretty model Pia Trivedi has a similar take: “The concept of hen parties is really catching up in the city. People have become as comfortable with them as they are with sangeet ceremonies.”
Finally, there’s Mohabattein actress, Kim Sharma, who is quick to emphasize that though she has nothing against the concept of Bachelorette parties, she does feel that “Letting your hair down is great, but freaking out doesn’t mean there’s a sleaze show on. Not that I have anything against them, but I think it’s important that people don’t go overboard with it…”
We found during a random poll for this feature that this is a point echoed by many Indian bridesmaids and brides-to-be regarding the growing interest about hen parties in India..
Incredible Hen Party Ideas
If you have an upcoming stag party, then it's high time you start the planning and formulate a strategy for the upcoming Stag Party. Better to organise these ideas into Stag night games and challenges, Stag night pranks, Stag night themes or Stag night y. Planning a successful stag party takes plenty of organisation, coordination and commitment. You can have plenty of ideas but activities.
Stag Night Ideas
- Games and Challenges: You can organise these games in house or go out. You can play Dare cards, Drinking games, The game of names, Scavenger hunt etc.
- Stag Night Pranks: Don't plan a much obvious prank like "strip John naked and handcuff him to the lamppost". You need to plan a scenario which is both funny and unpredictable. You can pick up any incidence of your school days, or any funny incidence happened at office place or any friends get together,
- Stag Night Themes: You can select a theme for your party like, Pimp theme, The James Bond Theme, Cowboy Theme, The Convict Theme, etc. But ensure that if you are partying in a PUB, they allow you to carry on with your theme costumes.
- Stag Out: You can select a destination to spend your Stag Weekend instead of arranging it back home. It is indeed a fun to go at a new place and spend some time with your friends, playing, drinking and enjoying. The best places you can visit are London, Newcastle, Bristol, Edinburgh, Brighton, Newquay and many more.
- Stag Activities: Instead of going to a pub, drinking, strip club and many more usual stuff, try to select some night and day activities. The most popular activities are, Paintballing, Karting, Quad Biking, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Rally Karts, 5 A Side Football.
- Stag Packages: Once you decide the destination to spend your stag weekend, you can consult the organizers for the packages they have to offer. Try to pick the best package which includes accommodation, activities, enjoyment, music, fun, sight seeing, and relaxation. Though it's a bit difficult to get everything together in one package but you can go for a customized package. Few sample packages are:
- Budget Bournemouth- 1 night stay at 4* hotel, half day paintballing, bar recommendation, lap dancing and VIP nightclub entry.
- Cardiff- Wicked Wales: 2 nights 2* hotel, quad bike trekking, paintball, lap dancing, casino, 2 nights of nightclubbing
- Edinburgh - A Sure Fire Bet: 2 nights 5* hostel, half day paintball, dinner reservation, casino entry, VIP nightclub entry.
- Newcastle - Newcastle Adrenaline: 2 nights 3* hotel, go karting, half a day paintballing, lunch, comedy club, lap dancing, VIP nightclub entry.
Prepare a stag party planning checklist and you'll see what kind of things you need to be thinking about.